Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


4.18.2008  

Parting, Meeting

In the past two weeks I've given many hugs and received many hugs in return. I've held my nieces, zerberted my nephews. My dad and my mom, my sisters and my brother and their significant others, as well as countless friends, both old and new, have been objects of my contemplation at one point or another. Through it all, I've come to realize yet again that I've been blessed with a lot of people who love me. Many of those who know me best love me for reasons I can't fathom, and quite frankly, it sometimes hurts to contemplate that kind of love.

I saw the pain in his eyes after I hugged him; it mirrored what I knew to be in my own. We were parting for but a little while, but I knew what my parting meant to him.

She seemed to hold on tight, then tighter so as to hide her tears in my shoulder. It shouldn't have shocked me, but it did. I suppose I hadn't realized just how much she looked to me to ease her pain.

At the first, his eyes conveyed bewilderment, distrust. By the end, his smile was like a balm to my soul, encouraging me to remember why I labor.

He loves me so much, yet I know he doesn't know how to convey that. Oh, if he'd only understand how much I love him; he doesn't have to earn it, and I wouldn't want him to try!

I've become used to leaving my family and my friends. I didn't say it was easy, just that I've become used to it. The hugs become more fervent, the words become more heartfelt. It's good that it hurts; if it didn't, the staying probably wasn't worth it in the first place.

He's changed since we last saw one another. Yet, that doesn't matter; it's like we never left in the first place.

The confusion she carries is not something I envy. I wish I could be humble enough to tell her what she wants to hear...what she needs to hear.

Saying hard words is never easy, especially when the outcome is uncertain. I'm glad he said them, though, because if he hadn't, they would've been his to bear longer. Quite frankly, that is not something I'd want him to bear alone. It's always been my joy to labor on his behalf, and I daresay it's been his joy to labor on my behalf. The reason becomes clearer when those labors become harder, when we begin to realize that the joys of the world after are far better.

We meet to part, but part to meet
When earthly labors are complete,
To join in yet more blest employ,
In an eternal world of joy.


-Basil Manly, Jr., from Soldiers of Christ in Truth Arrayed

posted by Bolo | 1:14 AM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious