Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


9.26.2007  

Word

Psalm 119:169 - 176
Let my cry come before You, O LORD; give me understanding according to Your word. Let my supplication come before You; deliver me according to Your word. Let my lips utter praise, for You teach me Your statutes. Let my tongue sing of Your word, for all Your commandments are righteousness. Let Your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen Your precepts. I long for Your salvation, O LORD, and Your law is my delight. Let my soul live that it may praise You, and let Your ordinances help me. I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Your servant, for I do not forget Your commandments.

This last stanza of Psalm 119 ends on an honest, vulnerable note, one that echoes clearly within my soul: I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Your servant, for I do not forget Your commandments. I know the commandments of God, I know His word, yet still, I find that I am oft astray, often in need of finding once more.

Ryan once said in a sermon that our congregation is one that, by and large, knows its duty. We know the word of God, and we are not shy about embracing that word. What becomes difficult, however, is knowing what and how to heed His word.

When He tells us to stand upon the Christ, the rock, the sure foundation, we try to lift that rock, that foundation and bear its unbearable load. When He tells us that He delights in us, that He remembers our sins no more, that our old selves have died and been buried with Christ, we go to the graveyard and dig up that which is dead, powerless, and without pleasure. When He tells us to come and feast, to partake of the Living Water and the Bread of Life, we find ourselves content to nibble upon Satan's sugary, sickening sweets.

What I find at the end of Psalm 119 is a reminder that, while I know God's commandments, His most wonderful command is to come to Him for mercy in time of need, to call out in weakness, lostness, loneliness, and despair. Yes, His sheep tend to go astray, but He is the Good Shepherd, and His sheep know His voice.

posted by Bolo | 11:08 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious