Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


5.08.2007  

Walking & Listening

I think there are a handful of happenings in our lives whose irregularity will cause us to end up asking ourselves, "Why don't I do that more often?"

My Firefox weather thingy tells me it's just below 70° F right now. The outside air felt cool and crisp, with a slight breeze; it was wonderful to be out there. As I walked, I prayed and read a little bit from Malachi. I love reading the prophets, even though, at times, they seem to do nothing more than proclaim the unfaithfulness of sinful man. Reading of that sinfulness reminds me that I, too, am filled with indwelling sin. Reading of that sinfulness also reminds me that I, too, am in need of a Savior.

I then sat on one of the benches in front of the J-Bowl, doing something I hadn't done in what seems like forever: Sitting and listening to God. I know, I know, that sounds terrible, but it's true. I feel like I go through my day, considering it just that: My day. Yet it's not my day, is it?

God asked of Job, "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding, who set its measurements?" And again, "Have you ever in your life commanded the morning, and caused the dawn to know its place, that it might take hold of the ends of the earth, and the wicked be shaken out of it?" I don't think my answer ought to be any different from Job's. Isaiah, God's prophet, understood this when he declared, "Lift up your eyes on high and see who has created these stars, the One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, not one of them is missing." In light of these observations, Paul's statement becomes even more stunning: "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them."

I'm glad I took that walk tonight. I needed it, I really did. Listening to the LORD becomes a little less strained when the very stars I've been reading about are hanging there in the night sky, precisely where He's placed them. I'm still asking myself, "Why don't I do that more often?"

posted by Bolo | 12:28 AM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious