Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


5.10.2007  

Hymnal

God Be Merciful to Me

God, be merciful to me,
On Thy grace I rest my plea;
Plenteous in compassion Thou,
Blot out my transgressions now;
Wash me, make me pure within,
Cleanse, O cleanse me from my sin.

My transgressions I confess,
Grief and guilt my soul oppress;
I have sinned against Thy grace
And provoked Thee to Thy face;
I confess Thy judgment just,
Speechless, I Thy mercy trust.

I am evil, born in sin;
Thou desirest truth within.
Thou alone my Savior art,
Teach Thy wisdom to my heart;
Make me pure, Thy grace bestow,
Wash me whiter than the snow.

Broken, humbled to the dust
By Thy wrath and judgment just,
Let my contrite heart rejoice
And in gladness hear Thy voice;
From my sins O hide Thy face,
Blot them out in boundless grace.

Gracious God, my heart renew,
Make my spirit right and true;
Cast me not away from Thee,
Let Thy Spirit dwell in me;
Thy salvation’s joy impart,
Steadfast make my willing heart.


This hymn, originally penned by Joseph P. Holbrook in 1862, is an adaptation of Psalm 51. My old bible, the one that, if it could speak, would probably tell me I ought to have treated it better, quickly and easily falls open to that particular psalm. The reason is simple: I often read those words of David's, needing the Holy Spirit to use those truths to stoke the embers of my soul's flickering flame to contrition and repentance.

Today, as I listen to Indelible Grace's rendition of this old hymn, two strong and seemingly paradoxical aspects of the believer's life echo in my heart. First, the horrendous, destructive stain of sin, of which I cannot hope to wash myself free. Second, the infinite, boundless mercy of God, of which I have no right to expect, yet is granted joyfully in Christ, washing me free of sin's hateful stain.

posted by Bolo | 12:30 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious