Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


3.17.2007  

Hymnal

Alas and did my savior bleed
And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I?

Thy body slain, sweet Jesus, Thine—
And bathed in its own blood—
While the firm mark of wrath divine,
His Soul in anguish stood.

Was it for crimes that I had done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide
And shut his glories in,
When Christ, the mighty Maker died,
For man the creature’s sin.

Thus might I hide my blushing face
While His dear cross appears,
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt my eyes to tears.

But drops of grief can ne’er repay
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give my self away
’Tis all that I can do.


It's been 300 years since Isaac Watts gave the world those words. I find it nothing short of amazing grace that I, another mere worm, should be able to read those words these centuries later and hear the knell of Christ's death ring true yet again: "Well might the sun in darkness hide and shut his glories in, when Christ, the mighty Maker died, for man the creature’s sin. Thus might I hide my blushing face while His dear cross appears, dissolve my heart in thankfulness, and melt my eyes to tears." Far too often I find myself unblushing, thankless, and tearless before my Lord, my Savior. Far too often, I seek some other solution to my sin, finding my affection for my Savior lacking. Yet, it is not that He is lacking in salvation, but that I lack in seeking such a wonderful sufficiency in Him! What else could I possibly want, that I do not already have? What else could I possibly desire, that He has not promised? What else could I hope in, that He has not already fulfilled or will fulfill? And why all of this? Because He loved me, and died for me.

posted by Bolo | 4:56 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious