Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


10.17.2006  

Relationships

Relationships with people are a tough thing. Quite honestly, I don't know how my friends do it. Over the past several days, as I've thought about what loving people on a long-term basis looks like, I've come to the conviction that a big part of it really does consist of being able to put up with all the crap we spout out or fester in as humans.

We all know that love is patient, kind, not jealous, does not brag, and so on and so forth. It sounds nice on a Hallmark card, but what does it really look like, feel like, smell like?

In pondering the qualities of those closest to me, I find one overwhelming trait that's both comforting and disconcerting: they like me, yea, even love me, flaws and cracks and all. One might even say that they love me in spite of me. Are they patient? Are they ever! Are they kind? Far, far, far more kind than I deserve. Are they jealous? Only to see God's glory in my life. Do they brag? Yes, but in talking about what they see God doing in other people's lives. *Sigh*...my friends set an example for me that I live in constant envy of. In them I see skill, blessing, and yes, love. The amazing thing? They have no problem sharing their lives with me, a messed up guy who doesn't do nearly as good a job of loving them as they do of loving me.

From my end of things, I've concluded that my closest friends and deepest relationships are with those in whom I find the ability and willingness to take hold of my heart when I place it in their hands, look at it, see every tiny tendril of weakness and fault, and not run from it or crush it in horror. They see through me, see through to the core of me, know me, yet love me still, desiring and working to see Jesus growing inside. Hmmm...yeah...that's a tough thing.

posted by Bolo | 11:18 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious