Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


10.14.2006  

Effects

I think I can trace it back to yesterday, when my coffee cup slid off of the top of Brooke's car and onto the pavement. Up until that point, I'd been tired, but my weariness was masked by the effects of some good Kenya AA from Java. The shooting went well, as well as can be when dealing with that kind of wind and wind chill, but nevertheless, I was ready to be done with it when we finally got back into the car and headed back toward campus. The rest of the day seems like a blur; I saw a lot of people I'd not seen for a while, and the world steadily lost color as my eyeballs felt more and more like they were on fire.

I was, to be blunt, exhausted.

Scott once told me that I looked tired. When I gave him a funny look, he said something like, "Dude, you could stay up for eighteen days straight and you still probably wouldn't look this tired." Whoa...ok...that kind of tired. Why didn't he just say so in the first place? While I'm not certain that I looked that tired last night, I know I felt it. Any number of factors could have attributed to my sad state: lack of sleep; hours and hours of driving; hours and hours of driving while lost and confused and behind schedule; pounds and pounds of yellow and beige phlegm that somehow continually gush out of my sinuses and lungs; and last but not least, hunger.

I was telling Scott just a little while ago that it's hard to really meditate on Scripture when you're driving somewhere and you're lost and frustrated. The distraction factor is nearly insurmountable. At one point on Thursday night, while passing over a particularly frustrating stretch of roadway, I told Trey that I'm always amazed at how quick I am to forget what's really important, what really counts in this world.

The point of all of this? As much as I'd like not to be, I'm still made of flesh and bone, and I'm still very susceptible to the frustrations of this world. Yes, I am united with Christ, and I am counted as righteous in the sight of the Father, but you know what? I do a poor job of remembering that truth, let alone be affected by it long enough and deeply enough to be changed by it on a daily basis. I sin, very much so, and I feel like giving up more often than not. But like Dr. Mohler is fond of reminding us, our problem is an internal one, found within ourselves. This means that introspection often causes us to see a good deal of our sins. Yet, our solution is an external one, found in Christ. This means that the righteous man looks not to himself for righteousness, but to Christ, who has clothed us with His.

posted by Bolo | 1:37 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious