Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


8.14.2006  

Word

Habakkuk 2:4
"Behold, as for the proud one, his soul is not right within him; but the righteous will live by his faith."

Ephesians 2:8, 9
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

This morning, I told Chriyus that when I'm convicted of sin, I will often ask God for grace begrudgingly. I ask for it in such a way that pays lip service, that does not really ask for grace; rather, I ask in order that I might add to my list of righteous works that I can claim. Oh, I usually don't say it quite like that, for that would never do. But in all honesty, my heart desires the ability to make myself right before God on my own merit, without Christ, without His free (yet costly!) gift of grace faith.

I was recently telling Andrew that sometimes I live as though I don't really like grace, or even despise it. At least, I despise my need for it. What a hideous, rearing, writhing head of hypocrisy my body of pride is crowned with at times! In the midst of my pride, I don't realize how proud I'm being. Well, then again, sometimes I do...and that's what's even uglier about my pride. *Sigh*.

I also told Chriyus that I'm amazed at how gracious God is. He tells us that when we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Practically speaking, how arrogant is it of me to try to earn my way back into His good grace? My tendency is to let several "spirit-filled" days go by before I feel like I can approach the throne of grace with boldness, even brokenness. But is that what grace is about? Does that reflect the beauty of Christ and the precious worth of His blood? Is the call to repent and the command to walk in grace dependent upon my works, or Christ's atoning work on the cross? Clearly, the Scriptures declare it is Christ's! Yet, does my life declare it so clearly and vividly as the Scriptures do?

Aaaahhh, therein lies the conviction.

Father, according to the precious gift of faith in Christ, I approach Your throne of grace, there to lay down my sin and shame, there to be clothed in the righteousness of Your Son.

posted by Bolo | 8:03 PM
1 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious