Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


8.22.2006  

Promises

Amos 9:11 - 15
"In that day I will raise up the fallen booth of David, and wall up its breaches; I will also raise up its ruins and rebuild it as in the days of old; that they may possess the remnant of Edom and all the nations who are called by My name," declares the LORD who does this. "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when the plowman will overtake the reaper and the treader of grapes him who sows seed; when the mountains will drip sweet wine and all the hills will be dissolved. Also I will restore the fortunes of My people Israel, and they will rebuild the ruined cities and live in them; they will also plant vineyards and drink their wine, and make gardens and eat their fruit. I will also plant them on their land, and they will not again be rooted out from their land which I have given them," says the LORD your God.

So often in Scripture, God's prophetic word is spoken with either a tone of warning against coming wrath or a tone of promise of future blessing. Here, after much warning throughout the book of Amos, God's promises of future blessing are finally seen. I must confess that I'm very much guilty of the sin of unbelief, for not only am I slow to heed the weight of the wrath that comes to those who disobey, but still more, I take for granted the overflowing blessings that God graciously bestows upon His covenant people. I might not say it with my lips, but the way I live indicates that I do not think much of what God so clearly says He loves to give to us, and what He joyfully looks forward to lavish upon His beloved.

Andrew and Sandi have been reading through Heaven, by Randy Alcorn. Much of what they've been learning seems to bathe their hearts in preparation of receiving the lavish love that God has for His covenant people. It is a love that is not at all ashamed to call us to forsake all others, a love that calls us to holiness, a love that calls us to hope in Christ alone. That is, I daresay, the same call that Amos himself gave to Israel so long ago, one that we ourselves have received through God's glorious grace. How can we not heed that call?

posted by Bolo | 4:47 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious