Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


8.10.2006  

Humble Hunger

Because humility is never outdated, and hunger for God is never passé.

That statement comes from Sovereign Grace's store where they're promoting their new album, Valley of Vision. I don't know if they borrowed it from somewhere else or if someone just came up with it, but I love it anyway. When I read it, I'd been contemplating what this morning's blog post was going to be about. After I woke up, I read about the contrast between the old and new covenants in Hebrews, and thought my thoughts on that might be what I blogged about. Boss is also home right now, and that fact in and of itself is worthy of several long and reflective posts. Strangely enough, I also feel compelled to write about Leeman today, perhaps because of a conversation I had with Pablo last night. And of course, there's the impending school year and all that comes with it, good, bad, and ugly.

Still, I'm not quite ready to write about any of that. Instead, I found that reading that one little sentence captured exactly what I've been wanting to feel for a long time.

Humility is most definitely not outdated; if anything, it's the cutting-edge of fashion for God's people. Are we not to clothe ourselves in humility? Yes, we are. Yet, I find that I often strut around in my own raggety pride, for humility is hard. Who wakes up in the morning and instantly looks good? I don't. It takes a while to get cleaned and dressed for the day; even then, we must remember to wear the appropriate attire, and for God's people, that means clothing ourselves in humility. But oh, it takes work to look so good every day, does it not? Yes, it does...I think we all know this very well. If you're anything like me, you're quite content to toss on whatever's comfortable, not what looks best, not what God has ordained in His dress code.

And a hunger for God? No, not passé. I think of David, dancing with all his might before the LORD; of David, crying out toward a God who he knew was merciful when confronted by Nathan in the face of his great sin; of the penitent publican, who would not even deign to look toward heaven, knowing the depths of his sin in the sight of God; and of Kason, who, although still displaying the doctrine of depravity quite thoroughly in his little five year-old personality, nevertheless shocks me upon occasion with the simplest of statements about Jesus, for they remind me of the simple, child-like faith that I lack.

When I think of humility, I think of passion for God. When I think of hunger for God, I also think of passion for God. In a sense, they both communicate a deep need for our Savior, a joyful dependence upon Christ's atoning work that exults in His glory without reservation. Where, I wonder, is such flagrant faith? *Sigh*...it's so easy to fall prey to the temptation to fake or flaunt spirituality. I hate it, I do; yet I know it well, like a Mr. Hyde that won't go away. Isn't it comforting, then, to know that even in the midst of such a daily battle, humility and hunger can still passionately shine through? Humility is ours to be clothed in, and hunger causes us to feast upon the Bread of Life, Christ Himself. Isn't God good?

posted by Bolo | 10:46 AM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious