Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


7.15.2006  

Through and For

A little while ago, I was sitting down, reading through portions of Colossians 1. I'd been journaling about the need to see Christ more clearly, that I might praise Him more passionately. I looked at verse 16, which reads, "For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities - all things have been created through Him and for Him." The last phrase caught my eye; He is both the cause and the purpose, the means and the end.

As I proceeded to journal some thoughts on this verse, I glanced outside so I could let my mind wander and churn. What I saw surprised me, for I had not expected such a sight: the sun, a gloriously warm and lazy orange, sat just a little above the horizon. All things have been created through Him and for Him. I've seen many soul-aching sunsets, some while sitting on a beach, some from a mountainside trail, some from the balcony of the Skyline house, and some from the waters at Kewalo's. Most of them, I must confess, I beheld while not thinking about the Creator who created all things, sunsets included, for Himself.

It is a wonderful thought that He creates so powerfully and purposefully. When it says that Christ creates all things "for Himself," that does not mean that He is selfish, and we cannot or should not enjoy those things; quite the contrary! Rather, what is meant is that the enjoyment of things in creation is most true and full when they are enjoyed in such a way that, by His grace and good pleasure, we rejoice that He has made all things because they reflect His glory. All things have been created through Him and for Him...including that sunset.

posted by Bolo | 10:10 PM
1 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious