Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


4.24.2006  

Will

I've had one thought continually stuck in my head for the past week: "Not my will, but Your will be done." A little over a week ago, as I pondered Jesus' prayer in Gethsemane, I kept coming back to that.

This morning, sitting across from Chriyus in Java, I told him that I needed him to preach to me. I asked him to tell me of the gospel. The funny thing is, after a few minutes more of conversation, I unknowingly proceeded to preach unto myself. I told him about the way that I'm blown away by what Jesus prayed in the garden, and how when I look at Philippians 2, I'm taught that Jesus did not consider equality with God a thing to be grasped, that He emptied Himself, and that He was obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Jesus obviously did not pray in Gethsemane with a heart full of joy and peace. Indeed, He was deeply grieved! Yet the Son, even in His hour of grief, desired to obey the Father. I told Chriyus that Jesus showed it was the Father who had authority, and the Son who was submitting. I won't pretend to comprehend all the implications of Jesus' prayer, but I do freely confess that His plea and subsequent obedience has placed a conviction in my heart I cannot shake. If the Son of God desired to submit to the Father's good and perfect will in spite of His grief, what right have I, a wretched sinner, to do anything but the same? If anything, it is precisely because of the obedience of Christ that I can also obey.

posted by Bolo | 1:06 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious