Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


2.24.2006  

Honorary Membership

I remember the first time I'd ever heard of Jack Johnson. I was in Michelle's red VW Bug with her and Goose, and we were on our way to...oh, I don't know...somewhere. (We never really needed an excuse to go do something, we just did it.) Goose was trying to call into 101.9 to get them to play Flake. The reason? He loved the way they'd mic'd the snare drum in the song. I told him I'd not heard of Jack Johnson at all. To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed the first time around with Flake; that quickly changed, of course. I was soon all over his songs like brown on my skin (when I'm at home to surf, naturally).

For a while, it seemed like Jack was the honorary member of The Surf Crew. Me, 'Drew, Boss, Kev, Steak Sauce, Kawamura, Brit, Peter...and Jack. If we were on our way to Kewalo's, he'd be on the radio, and we'd be singing along. And if for some reason he was not chillin' wit us on the anticipatory drive, it was definitely by the time we arrived in the parking lot and started to pull out the Sticky Bumps and put the car keys on the little elastic loops in our boardshorts that he was there singing.

What better way to wax up a board, right?

Of course, the session wasn't complete until we paddled in, showered off, wiped down our bodies and our boards...and turned on the radio to hear Jack. *Sigh*...those were the days. A little surfing 'til sunset, a little stop at the 7's that's no longer there, and a little Gina's.

And, of course, a little Jack.

posted by Bolo | 5:34 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious