Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


12.27.2005  

Oh, Brother

I have a brother. A few say that we look alike. Most say we look nothing alike. I stand at a diminutive but intimidating 5' 6", while he cruises at a self-assured 6' even. My features pull toward the Filipino blood that everyone claims we have but most undeniably do not; his features lean more toward the Japanese blood that our parents have abundantly supplied us with. My skin gets so dark my brother claims I was adopted from Africa; he used to get dark, but now he just gets red. I generally don't have hair on my head; he does.

All physical attributes aside, Leonard and I are actually very much alike. We talk the same way, have the same facial expressions, and share intellectual tendencies (ask Lisa, Monica, and Mary about that one). One thing we also share is our sense of humor.

Just yesterday, he related to me the glorious tale of his Christmas gift to his girlfriend, Kris. He gave her a Movado watch. Now, my brother being my brother, he couldn't simply give it to her in the normal fashion. Nope. He decided to have a little fun at her expense. How so? Well, he went to Wal-Mart to purchase a purse. Not just any purse, mind you, oh no. This purse had to be special. It had to stand out. It had to have flair. Above all, it had to be absolutely, undeniably, inconceivably hideous.

Do you see where this is going?

He deemed his quest successful when the woman behind him in line remarked, "Last minute Christmas shopping?" My brother replied with, "Uhhh, kind of. It's for my girlfriend." The wise, elderly woman's face was, according to my amused brother, a study in self-control. He said he could tell that she was trying not to say what she was thinking. He helped her out a little and said, "It's ugly, isn't it? Go ahead, you can say it." "Oh no! I was just thinking that it wasn't something I would have gotten." When he explained to the woman his mischievous plan, she laughed along with him.

Christmas Morning arrived. They were over at Kris' parent's house, along with the rest of her family (whom he had not told about her gift). When she got to my brother's gift to her, she opened it to a chorus of, "Oooohhh...uhhhh...it's...niiiiiiice." My brother said he was trying hard not to laugh, but it became even harder when he asked her if she liked the purse. "Uhhh...yeah...I like it." Leonard was kind enough to tell her that her real gift was inside the bag.

She liked her real gift a lot more than the bag :)

Three sidenotes. First, the purse ended up being given to my niece, Kayla. The thing is hideous, but she likes it. Second, my brother recorded the unwrapping, so it'll soon be tossed up on the web for all to see. Third, Leonard made Kris wrap up her own gift. She had no idea what it was, since the purse was already in an unmarked box.

Dirty guy :)

posted by Bolo | 7:37 PM
3 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious