Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


9.24.2005  

Irony

Earlier this week, I discussed with Christin one of the great ironies in relationships: while guys and girls will work hard to put on what they think is their best appearance in order to attract someone of the opposite sex, the goal of such labors is to get the other person not to freak out and run screaming when the worst is revealed. That's a rather silly take on it, to be sure, but it made me stop and think.

Is that how I approach God?

If I'm honest with myself, I think I have to say that it is. My heart's been heavy today, for a plethora of reasons I'll not list. It's difficult enough to think clearly when my brain is fogged over with my pride and selfishness, but when I become sucked so far down into the muck and mire of life that I feel I cannot see or breathe, I just want to go fetal position and sleep the day away.

But that's not going to happen, is it?

Nope. As I was contemplating rolling over and playing dead for a few days, the Lord brought to mind some Scriptures that I've read or thought about lately: my soul waits in silence for God only; from Him is my salvation...all discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness...He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken...therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ...how can I give you up, O Ephraim? How can I surrender you, O Israel? How can I make you like Admah? How can I treat you like Zeboiim? My heart is turned over within Me, all My compassions are kindled...but as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works.

So often, I talk myself into thinking that God doesn't quite see everything in my heart. I'll try to come before the Lord with a joyful heart, but He knows that the wellspring of joy has become a stagnant pool of drudgery. I often seek to worship Him in spirit and in truth, but He knows that my spirit pulls away from the truth that convicts. Sometimes, I'll speak glorious things of our glorious Savior. Yet, I find those words empty and without savor, for without having tasted of and feasted upon Christ's sweet and satisfying presence, how will my words be savory?

Last night, Emily, Liz, and Amanda decided that they wanted to read my paper on marriage out loud. So they did that. When I walked into the room, they'd gotten through most of it, so I sat down to take a listen. It's a curious sort of experience to hear others read aloud something you've written. When Amanda got to the portion on Hosea's marriage to Gomer the prostitute being shocking, I smiled, for it was followed with a declaration that the Lord's redeeming marriage to His errant bride should be all the more shocking. Is that not the very nature of the Lord's love for us? A love that is shocking, yet freely and joyfully given by the Lord with the complete knowledge of the fullness of our wretchedness?

I forget what the Lord's love for me is like. I forget that He already knows the things that make me try to run from myself, and from Him. But He is faithful to remind me, and to graciously show me over and over again that the dimensions of His grace are far, far, far greater than I will ever know.

Thus, it is with a somewhat ironic revelation that I once again look to Christ, in the hopes that the Lord would cleanse from me the muck and mire I drudge through. It is a nasty job, one that I could never accomplish on my own, and one that I think my God is too good for. But the amazing thing? He did it anyway, and He is faithful to remind me that He did. He is, after all, mindful that I am but dust.

posted by Bolo | 2:28 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious