Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


3.29.2005  

Life's Glory is Dead

Last night was Hymn Night at Dorm Meeting. Whether or not that had any effect on my desire to listen to this one on repeat for a good while, I don't know. I remember first hearing this about...oh...nearly four years ago now. I hadn't really paid much attention to the lyrics, since the music for it that had been rewritten and recorded by Indelible Grace didn't naturally allow for contemplative listening. Several months after first hearing it, someone (I think it was Miss Papaya) told me the story of George Matheson, the blind preacher who one day, in the midst of “the most severe mental suffering,” wrote these lyrics in the span of a mere five minutes. Me being me, I didn't realize that those lyrics that George Matheson wrote were the same lyrics I'd been listening to for months. What a dork :)

O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in Thee;
I give Thee back the life I owe,
That in Thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

O Light that lightest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to Thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in Thy sunshine's blaze its day,
May brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to Thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from Thee;
I lay in dust life's glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.

posted by Bolo | 2:16 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious