Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


3.18.2005  

Beggar

Beggar. That's the word that's been running through my head for the past week. More than running, truth be told; the very aura the word commands has had me stopped cold, on my knees, wondering and pondering the state of my soul in a way that I've not done in quite some time. The image I have in my head is that of a pauper, a beggar, the one who is truly despised...the one that I must realize that I, if I'm honest with myself, also despise.

Psalm 70:5
Yet I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD, do not delay.

Psalm 109:22
For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.

Isaiah 55:1
"Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price."

It's hard to picture that in my head and embrace it. I spend so much of my time trying to escape that, trying to "move past" the frailty and helpless state of my sinful flesh that I forget the severe reality of my sin. What it really comes down to, I suppose, is that in order to properly gaze upon the glory of the gospel, I must properly gaze upon the helpless hideousness of my soul. That's really why the word "beggar" is sticking in my head; not only is my soul helpless, but I am hideous to look upon as well. Is that not the nature of a beggar? Hands outward, pleading, yearning for but a morsel or a penny, yet destitute and utterly without hope, not knowing why life is worth the living. That is what I am without Christ. That is what so many are without Christ.

There are beggars everywhere. They sit outside of Wal-Mart, or walk inside of Wal-Mart. They drive their SUV's, they play golf at their country clubs. They eat leftover food out of the trash can, or they have servants serve it to them on the finest porcelain. They're the ones who are skinny because they have no food to eat; they're the ones who are skinny because they throw up all the food they eat. Yes, there are beggars everywhere. I forget that I'm not the only one, I forget that the world has pains and worries that go far beyond that of my own. Some are hopelessly trying to find an answer to their sinful status, while others are are utterly unaware of their pauper's predicament.

posted by Bolo | 8:07 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious