Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


11.23.2004  

Way

Jaimeson told me a little while ago, "you have a way about you." Her comment which was in all seriousness utterly serious, came forth while discussing Mike's comment about me on his blog: "He could totally destroy your life and you would love him for doing it." When I first read his comment, it made me laugh out loud to myself and grin and laugh out loud over and over again. It's a good thing I was by myself when this all happened, 'cause I would've snorted out some snot while trying to hide my effervescent amusement while around any other sentient being.

Now that I've been removed from the immediate hilarity of the situation for a couple of days, I can now comment on it with some sobriety. I have a way about me? I told Jaimeson that I'd like to understand this "way," because it's something I don't really see. She said it consists of gentleness, kindness, and compassion (at least, I think those were the three...close enough, I suppose), in addition to the ability to communicate with people. Hmmm...ok. I suppose that may be the case, but still...it's not something I really see in myself, so it's somewhat odd, if not shocking, that two of my very well-respected peers should say such things of me.

I'm taken back to something Leeman once said to me. I remember the moment with a fair degree of clarity; we were on our way to my house after a late night on campus, and he was driving. It was always a scary thing when Leeman was driving, so each time I stepped from the vehicle I praised God for His provision in providing a ride as well as His provision in keeping my body intact. But I digress. Leeman essentially told me that I listen well. This came from someone who, despite his tendency to seem somewhat distant and distracted during a conversation, I thought listened well himself.

Recently I told Chriyus that what frustrates me at times on our campus is that I feel like people don't listen. We're like Job's friends, quick to offer advice, quick to admonish, slow to listen. I told Chriyus it's something I see in myself, and I hate it. I despise the ways I try to solve a problem with a verse or passage of Scripture; I despise more deeply still the way I won't even take the time to listen to someone's problem. Do I listen to someone, truly listen? Or do I simply wait for them to get to the end of their story so that I can show them how well I've paid attention in Dr. Draper's Interpreting Isaiah class? *Sigh*...yeah...I think you know the answer I'm thinking of...

Still, I'm not discouraged. If I'm falling so that others might see me continually getting up after each one of my falls, so be it. I'll rejoice in my weakness, and pray that I would listen to others as they share their own falls along the journey.

posted by Bolo | 1:25 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious