Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


11.21.2004  

Shepherd's Shock

My co-worker made a comment about hating Christmas, hating what it stood for. My interest, to say the least, was piqued. His little comment brought on about an hour's worth of conversation. Our dialogue covered everything from the historicity of the Catholic Church's involvement in bringing about a Christmas celebration to the beauty of the gospel as foreshadowed in Hosea. I shared with him the sheer wonder God places in my heart when I think of those shepherds tending their flocks at night two thousand years ago. They, mere shepherds, found themselves surrounded by a heavenly host of angels declaring one thing: the Savior had come! He was born! I shared the awe God bestows upon me when I think of the four hundred years of silence suddenly broken publicly; and the message? There is indeed a Savior! I shared that the purpose of the Law was not only to show us what we had to do to live in righteousness before the Lord, but even more, it was to show us that we never could live in righteousness before the Lord, and therefore we needed a Savior. I shared that our Savior abolishes the Law not because He renders it entirely useless, but that He abolishes it because He fulfills it on our behalf. I shared a lot with him...yet I found myself wanting to share so much more.



Today as I think about the meaning of Christ's birth, I find myself silenced. Stunned. Awed. I imagine being one of those shepherds, sitting or lying out in the fields while my sheep were doing their sheepish duties. I imagine being scared out of my wits while an angel appeared to me and the rest of the scruffy shepherds. And what did the angel say? "Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."



My goodness. Try to imagine the emotion that must have gripped the shepherds; I cannot! Such a message was longed for and hoped for, yet the manner in which it would be delivered was not known, nor was it known what tidings the message would even bring. That the Messiah was to come was no doubt a part of their upbringing as Jews; but to hear that the Messiah was a baby, one that had been born that day? Mysterious and wondrous beyond measure! Even as I sit here and type out this entry, I find myself weeping with joy and wonder. Why would Jesus deign to put Himself in human flesh, much less baby flesh? Why would He allow Himself to be put in a manger, of all things? I cannot answer these questions. And when I look at the cross He was born to embrace, I am only all the more silenced and humbled.



Those shepherds went to see the Lord...the Lord! They were told of His birth that they might go and adore Him, and they did not disappoint. They rushed to see their Lord, their Savior, whom they would find as they were told: wrapped in cloths, lying in a manger. Thus, even in the manger He was worshiped.



I told my co-worker that for me, Christmas is not the glitzy glam of Santa Claus and presents and Christmas Trees and parties. Don't get me wrong; I love a good Christmas party as much as the next guy. Heck, I love a good day in the mall during the Christmas shopping season much, much, much more than the next guy (or girl, for that matter). No, Christmas is a time where I can take the extra time to reflect...and wonder...and weep...for like those shepherds, I also find it wonderful that my Savior was born as a mere baby, wrapped in cloths, lying in a manger. I find it mysterious that He should call me to come and adore Him, much like those shepherds. I find it amazing that He should be born in this humble manner, all so that He might die a humble yet horrible death.



posted by Bolo | 11:42 AM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious