Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


11.29.2004  

Gold and Dross

Here's a quick thought before I head out for the day. In talking to Jeff last night, he was telling me about how some things that I've written had touched him quite deeply. He cited various blog posts, using his own prior knowledge of me and my personality to back up what he observed. (Keep in mind, Jeff's my old roommate from the Lime Street house, so he's seen quite a great deal of my personality in all its gory glory.) What took me by surprise wasn't so much that Jeff was affected; Jeff's always had a keen and deep insight into life once he sees and grips what the Lord wants to teach him. No, the surprise came because what had affected him to such large degrees weren't necessarily the things that had affected me to the same degrees.



I know, I know; you're going, "John, what the heck are you saying?!?!?!?!" Let me have my one discombobulated paragaph, and I'll make things clear and obvious from here on out, alrighty? In essence, what I realized was that God does use the things we go through (pain, joy, silly and profound) to teach others. The thing is, we aren't the ones to decide what teaches or touches others, how others are touched or taught, or when they're touched or taught something by what we've gone through; God is. In sharing what the Lord showed him through what I'd gone through, Jeff helped me to realize that my life truly is for my brother. The life I live is not mine; it is Christ's! I must give it away as Christ did, for only in doing so will I truly gain it. I must embrace and take up my cross, dying to myself daily. Should my brother be encouraged by my rising up after my falling yet again, so be it; should my sister see my treatment of another sister and take heart, I praise the Lord heartily; should a younger brother see and be drawn to Christ through His work in my life, I shall weep with humble joy!



The point is quite simple. I must be holy, for He who called me is Holy. I know not who is watching, nor do I know what they take from observation. It's like Gary once told me, "John, you will have many godly teachers in your life. I am humbled that I can be one of them. Take the gold, get rid of the dross, and teach others."

posted by Bolo | 9:20 AM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious