Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


10.14.2004  

Road Trip: Memphis

Approximately 12 hours ago, Scott and Biggz were waiting to meet up with me so they could follow me to the airport. I was on my way back from Memphis for yet another Boyce recruiting trip, and they were helping me to return the rental car. Six hours of driving...ouch.



The pavement was at first quite persistent, and wore me out. Not even a good dose of Caedmon's Call's My Calm/Your Storm, some of the best road trip music ever, could rouse me from my driving doldrums. Bleh.



I thought of calling Boss, but it was kind of early for him to be up. Well, not really, but you know how it is to talk to people in the morning. So instead, I called Mr. Mikami. It kind of stinks for him to have to be up in Seattle and away from the surf, but at least he gets to see The Girl, and at least he knows that that's where God wants him. The benefit for me is that when it's somewhere around 1 pm-ish my time, it's Kevin Mikami Is Awake In Seattle Time (no Sleepless joke there...I somehow managed to refrain...whoa). I told Kev I had a bunch of thoughts I just needed to get out, so I would talk, and he would interject every so often. He acquiesced, of course, and we proceeded from there.



I don't remember exactly how the conversation went, but I do remember that we talked about the boys from back home, and how each of them offers to me something slightly different in regards to the dynamics of my relationship with them. Kevin, for instance, gives much philosophical ponderance without snobbery. I like that...very much Kev conversation :) Andrew is the friend that I can chill with for hours without saying anything, then one of us will say one word, and we'll start rolling on the floor in laughter. We've also done enough ministry together over the years to be able to think on the same wavelength. Heck, we've also surfed and eaten enough together over the years to be able to think the same things when doing those things, as well :) Boss is my Ward Starbucks companion, constant and consistent, always listening to my mad ranting and raving. He's cool like that...he helps me to unwind. Goose is the dude that keeps it real. I can tell him things I can tell other people, but I can tell it to him differently, and he won't get upset :) Jon is...well...Jon. I think I put it this way the other night: Jon speaks into me. In some strange ways, I miss Jon more than anyone of the other boys. I don't know when I'll see him again, just because he's in Oregon with Amy and the girls, going through Western Seminary. Bummer. Gary Lau is The Teacher. Always teaching, teaching, teaching. When he's around, I listen. Heck, when he's not around, I listen, 'cause I know he's still teaching me if I just shutup and think and try to remember what he once told me. "No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher" was his tried and true statement. Gary was most definitely not a bad teacher :)



My conversation with Kev also touched upon my relationship with the Lord. *Sigh*...I told him that I felt as though I'd been treating Him horribly, in that in my heart, I saw him as less transcendent and less condescending than He truly is. Translation into layman's terms? I was not remembering how holy, holy, holy the Lord is, and how amazingly intimate His interaction with me is. I think I said that I was perceiving the Lord as being less high and less close than He really is. Does that make sense? I hope so, 'cause I can't really fathom how to give it more clarity than that. Here's the thing about it. When I treat Him like that in my heart, my relationship with Him becomes dull and rote. Is that any way to treat the Lord? Dull and rote are two words that do not apply to God, no matter how you interpret the Scriptures...unless you interpret them wrongly ;) Anyway, I realized this: I needed to spend some time with the Lord today, to be with Him, to sit at His feet and listen, to beg and plead with Him for His grace to change my hardened heart, to open wide my heart to his healing touch. It's one thing to know my bible and to be able to spit things out about the Lord that I ought to be able to spit out. It's another thing entirely to be in love with Him, to spend the day yearning for His presence, and to speak of Him in ways that are affectionate and passionate.



Speaking of speaking, this thought occurred to me the other day. If the Lord were to take away all of my ability and skill in regards to communication, yet were to grace me with a far deeper intimacy with Him and understanding of Him than ever before, I would be a very happy man. *Sigh*...sometimes, I run into the wall. The wall is the point at which words fail to convey the lengths to which I am enjoying a savoring the Lord in my life. Unfortunately, that's not as often as it should be, and that's sad. I don't seek the Lord the way I ought to, and my thirst is easily slaked and satisfied in my desiring of Him. Because of that, I feel as though my ability to convey my thoughts of Him would be far better if they were simply taken away if such a thing would lead to my seeing and savoring Him more. To be utterly blunt, if God were to strike me and make me into a human vegetable, yet a human vegetable that loved Him far more than this blogging buffoon, I would be happy.

posted by Bolo | 4:53 AM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious