Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


10.11.2004  

The Misses

Every so often, I write about what I miss from back at home. I miss a lot of things, and I feel the loss of such things very keenly. Friends and family are foremost on my mind, yet my memory banks are also filled with the random and the obscure.

I miss my house on Lime Street. I went through a lot while I was at that house; I'll never forget it. I think I used to drive Jeff crazy, but oh well...I still drive people crazy :) Sometimes I listen to certain songs I listened to a lot that summer, and I smile in wistful bliss. It was then that I was first exposed to Indelible Grace and David Crowder, and was moved to tears by Bebo Norman's "Big Blue Sky" album. The house on Lime Street was good to me, despite how messed up I'd made my life at that point. Garcia and Khang probably still grimace at the thought of Ray dancing (I won't even mention the band he listened to...it causes too much pain) out on my porch during the sleepovers, and they probably grimace even more at the thought of losing to me at Monopoly and Risk so much ;) *Sigh*...I miss that place, I do...it was close to Starbucks, close to Kewalo's. Yeah, I do miss it.

Of course, I can't speak of one house without speaking of the other. The house on Judd Street was even more filled with memories. The upstairs bathroom in and of itself is bigger than some dorm rooms, and the closet space in my room was incredibly accommodating to my wardrobe. I can still see Goose's face when I came into his room after my shower, and he thought I didn't have anything on underneath the towel I took off in front of him :) I can still hear Andy's girly scream when I dutifully poured the icy water over him while he was still in the shower (hey, he was the dufus who left the bathroom door open, not me). The big picture window in my room wasn't bad, either; the sunset viewings consistently left me pondering how God could make purple and pink and blue and orange look good together by painting them onto an afternoon sky.

What else do I miss? So much.

I miss random talks with Jon late at night when he'd call me and go, "whatcha doin'?" And he'd get me to come down to his place so I could help him move a couch or something. There was always the promise of good conversation, no matter if that promise was voiced or not. We knew how it worked...that's how our friendship was...we understood that things were a certain way for certain reasons, and we didn't question them, we just rolled with the punches. That's why when he and Amy were getting ready to leave, he would call, and I would come without question. Nevermind the fact that I had just gotten home and needed to be in bed; Jon was worth it. Once the twins were born and he and Amy and the girls were gone, I wouldn't have those times back. I had to take them when I got them :)

The smell of the ocean. The only ocean worth speaking of to my snobby little Local Boy mind, to be perfectly honest, is the Pacific...the World's Largest Bathroom. I miss driving off of Nimitz onto Ala Moana Boulevard when I'd be on my way to Kewalo's to meet up with Brian and Andrew, smelling the sweet smell of salt water. Aaaahhh, there's nothing like it! Even better is the feel of the first duck dive of a session as the cool brine washes over my face on a hot summer day. I could die happily in the ocean, really I could. Yeah, I miss the ocean.

One must not forget Boots & Kimo's. The Macadamia Nut Pancake Sauce...*sigh*...*groan*...*grumble*. When, God, when will I taste such sweet delights once more? That sauce...I dream of it sometimes. Ooohhh, I better stop thinking about it, 'cause I'm getting hungry. It's heavenly. Delightful. Enlightening. Fattening, yes, but still enlightening.

I miss being called Jack. Im, Kim, and Joyce started that one. They decided that because they had too many friends named "John" that they would rename me. I protested at first, because I thought it ludicrous that the one they've known the longest (Im has known me since I was born, even) was the one they renamed. Pfft! But it's grown on me, and now I miss it. I even had a little bit of a Jack Fan Club going there for a while...ok, maybe not, but it was cool to think so, you know? Now, it's sort of strange to think of the Jack Trio. Im is still back home, but Joyce is in Japan, and Kim's in New York. She's been Dr. Kim for a while now, but still...it's funny to think that she's in the same time zone as me. So yeah, I miss the whole Jack thing. Life goes on, though, and I refuse to be left behind :)

posted by Bolo | 8:39 AM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious