Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


5.28.2004  

Second Breakfast!

Last night, I was faced with the possibility of spending the night out in the cold, with a Tornado Warning in effect for the area I was in. Yeesh.



Once I was holed up, however, all went well...I was well sheltered, and talked to a bunch of folks...Boss...Goose...Michelle...and Mom. Not to mention, I was able to stay up the whole time :)



This morning, I read a little something about the Puritans that caught my attention. "...We cannot but conclude that whereas to the Puritans communion with God was a great thing, to evangelicals today it is a comparatively small thing. The Puritans were concerned about the communion with God in a way that we are not. The measure of our unconcern is the little that we say about it. When Christians meet, they talk to each other about their Christian work and Christian interests, their Christian acquaintances, the state of the churches, and the problems of theology - but little about the inner realities of fellowship with God. Our sermons contain much sound doctrine - but little relating to the converse between the soul and the Saviour. We do not spend much time, alone or together, in dwelling on the wonder of the fact that God and sinners have communion at all; no, we just take that for granted, and give our minds to other matters. Thus we make it plain that communion with God is a small thing to us. But how different were the Puritans! The whole aim of their 'practical and experimental' preaching and writing was to explore the reaches of the doctrine and practice of man's communion with God. In private they talked freely of their experiences of God, for they had deep experiences to talk about..." So said J.I. Packer.



I sat there, eating my breakfast (actually, come to think of it, it was about 2:30 in the afternoon...I'd gotten off of work at 7:00 in the morning), thinking on that. Do my thoughts of God do Him justice? Of course not. But does my communion with Him seek to do His condescension justice? Said differently, does my communion with Him reflect the cost He paid to commune with me? Are my thoughts and words of Him savory and sweet, ever seeking to be full of reverence? Hmmm...

posted by Bolo | 6:34 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious