Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


3.01.2004  

Boasting

1 Corinthians 1:26 - 31 reads, "For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, so that no man may boast before God. But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, so that, just as it is written, "Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord.""



Ouch. I don't have a whole lot to write on that one, other than this statement, which is true at nearly all times: my boasting is most definitely not in the Lord, even when it may appear to be.



I've thought about that verse a lot today, along with Galatians 5:14. "But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Do I boast? Absolutely. In the cross? Yeah. Only in the cross? *Sigh*...nope. It's almost as if Paul is telling me to let my desires, my joys, my hopes, my motives, my everything, to be in the cross. That's obvious, isn't it? But then he nails me down by asking me, "do you boast? If you do, do you boast only in the cross of Christ?" When he speaks of boasting, he calls into question my pride. Is my pride in myself, or is it solely in Christ? Because if it's not, then my desires, my joys, my hopes, my motives, my everything is not pointed toward Christ. No...it's pointed toward me. And isn't that what happened in the Garden of Eden? Isn't that what Christ came to put to death? *Sigh*...

posted by Bolo | 5:50 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious