Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


1.16.2004  

Bittersweet

A friend of mine wrote an email to me recently...one that has me thinking a lot. She was quite frank in her email, and told me about the struggles of being away from friends and family, growing up, and having people react to that. It reminded me of being back at home for the first time after going away. I thought that I'd changed. I thought that I'd be able to just come back home and be the person I knew I really was. The problem? It was hard for people to accept the changes God had worked within me. It was hard for me to accept people's reaction to what God had done. Jesus talked about this, saying that the prophet is not without honor except in his own hometown.



Now, I'm not equating myself to a prophet, but I will say that I understand that verse a little more since leaving home. At times I feel like Elijah, ready to take on the false prophets of whatever Ism has come into vogue; at others, I feel more like Jeremiah, prone to weeping and whining to God, or perhaps Jonah, knowing God but not loving His nature.



I haven't written the said friend back yet. She's gotten me thinking about my own situation a lot, but even more so, thinking about what she's going through. She's got a lot to deal with, and I feel pity for her. Yet I'm glad she's having to deal with it. My hope is that perhaps, as God has taught me, she'll learn that bitterness toward her hometown isn't the answer. No, I think that when she is able to look past her own pains, she'll see that they want her to help them in their pains. What a sweet joy that realization is...what a sweet joy it is to help them :)

posted by Bolo | 6:11 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious