Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


12.03.2003  

Foolishness

Finals. There's such a sense of...finality...to that word. Hehe :) A year ago, I was slowly becoming used to the idea that I'd be going to school in Kentucky. Finals were, for the most part, a foreign concept, a vague echo from a past stint in college that never panned out. And yet here I am, about to embark upon my first "real" semester's set of finals. Whoa.



I have a friend who has, over the years, taken it upon himself to give me advice. Some has been great. Other bits...not so great. One thing he would often tell me was to go back to school. No offense to him, but I thought he was a fool for saying so. Am I eating my words now? I don't think so. If anything, quite the opposite. Call me idealistic, but I'd always believed that school should be something I enjoyed. So why in the world would I go to school simply because, in effect, I was getting the old, "You should go to school so you can make something of yourself in the eyes of the world and be successful and provide for your family with two point five kids and grow old comfortably and retire with your 401k and start wearing 501 blue jeans again and play with the grandkids and sit around and wait for them to come over and and and..." talk? What a load of...yeah :)



So last year, I was at that crossroads, that point where school suddenly became a serious option. Why did I choose it? Or, to be more accurate, why did God push me in that direction?



I remember one day reading from my bible. Psalm 27:8 made me tremble..."When You said, 'Seek My face,' my heart said to You, 'Your face, O Lord, I shall seek.' " I couldn't deny it; God wasn't sending me to school, but calling me to an even higher calling: seek Him. What could be sweeter? What could be more incredible? What could be harder? I thought of all the times I'd promised God I'd go anywhere...China...Africa...10/40 window...wherever. But KENTUCKY?!?! "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God." I guess so :)



I still wonder why I'm here and not at home. I write about it often...sometimes in my journal, sometimes here on the blog. I think about it all the time. But you know what? I'm glad God is so much wiser than me. Being here has been sweet. It's also been incredible. But oh my...how hard it is! And yet, why would I go home now? Why would I leave this crazy little piece of earth I now smile about? Why is it that when I think about sitting on the wall at Kewalo's (thanks, Boss...I can truly say I heard the surf while I was up here), or driving over the H3 just for the heck of it, or sitting outside the Uchida house late at night talking story with Andrew until we gotta go inside and pee, or the way I used to drive up to Jon and Amy's just to say "hi," or even walking into Ward Starbucks and seeing everybody and their mommies, I can smile and know I'm still in a better place? It's simple, really. It's because I'm exactly where God wants me, and being there and nowhere else truly is sweet, and it truly is incredible, but it truly is hard sometimes.



Back to those finals :)

posted by Bolo | 9:03 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious