Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


11.12.2003  

Open Grief

A few of us are going to the ETS (Evangelical Theological Society) conference coming up next week in Atlanta. As part of the conference, Dr. Clark Pinnock and Dr. John Sanders will perhaps have their membership called into question due to their views on Open Theism. What is Open Theism? In short, it's the view held by some that God does not know the future, and therefore takes "risks" as would a human. It is, to be perfectly honest, a horrible view that has become prominent in recent years.



Yet, what I find most disturbing about Open Theism is not how horribly it distorts God's glorious nature. Nor is it that those men who teach this belief are swaying others, including some rather prominent church leaders, toward their views. No, those two things, horrific as they are, are blatant and unblushingly so. The blatant attacks I can handle, but it's the subtle that makes me grieve. No, what disturbs me most is the zeal I find when I look into the eyes of some of my fellow students. I see some bloodthirsty grins when we speak of the possible ousting of Pinnock and Sanders from the Society. I hear a motley crowd rejoicing over the voting that may occur. And do you know what I feel? Sick to my stomach.



I told Andrew yesterday I hoped that if I were in such error, if I myself were leading others astray in their beliefs and making a mockery of the God that has first loved me, that others would find it in their hearts, by the grace of God, to grieve over my sinful soul. I told him that I was saddened...angered...pained. To think that we might get excited over the blindness of a brother is a tragic loss of awareness in regards to the majestic grip of God's grace, and at that notion, I want to throw up.



I told Monica this morning that I hated the way we celebrate the demise of one of God's creations. What's the difference between my "true" belief, and their "error"? GRACE! "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." (Ephesians 2:8,9) My heart aches at the thought that there are some who are so close to tasting the sweetness of God's infinite and astounding glory, yet are so far. Why do we rejoice over this? Why?

posted by Bolo | 1:32 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious