Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


8.31.2003  

sepia

For whatever reason, I've been a little sentimental today. I guess it's because I can look back at around this time for the past couple years, and see a lot of bittersweet memories. Andrew and Brian left exactly two years and two years and one week ago, respectively. Jon and Amy left a little over a year ago...the 8th of August, I think. Hmmm...is it just me, or is it strange that I actually remember these dates off the top of my head? *Shrug*. For the past couple of years, August/September has represented a lot of change, a lot of adjustment. When Andrew and Brian left, I didn't know how I was going to adjust; to have friends that close go so far away was a sore trial, but one that I'm grateful for. What I realized was that friendships of that nature and depth don't just end when faced with difficulties, they grow. I knew that before they left, of course, but to actually experience it was something else entirely. I was a very unwilling student for a long while, I must confess :)



I don't think I would have had anywhere near the same perspective when Jon and Amy left, had God not allowed me to go through it with Andrew and Brian. I can remember a New Year's Eve from a couple years ago. I drove up to the Field's Aiea home to chill with them and Amy's parents before I headed over to my cousin's in Kailua. I don't know if I told them I was coming or not before I actually got there, but I knew they wouldn't mind, and they didn't; it was one of those times that I'll never forget. We hung out, knowing that it'd be the last New Year's Eve together for a long while. And although I don't recall any details about being there that night, I know that it was very special. Sometimes memories are like that...the details fade away, but the richness of it lingers long after. Good friendships are like that, too...even though the details and circumstances will change and fade, the richness will be savored long after.

posted by Bolo | 5:12 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious