Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


8.07.2003  

Deep Water

I've got this picture in my head, and it's been stuck there for a week or two now. I feel like I'm standing on the shore of some endless ocean. The ocean is God's truth: deep, powerful, mysterious, breathtaking. I like to stand on the shore, though, because on the shore I feel safe. On the shore, I feel I am not at the mercy of God; on the shore, I can stand on my own two feet.



I'll often wade into the shallow waters of God's truth from time to time. I do it once or twice a day, and call it my "quiet time". Sometimes, when I dare to go for a swim, I'm taken in by how incredible it all is. All sorts of wonderful things are found in God's truth: grace, holiness, wrath, love, forgiveness, righteousness, glory. But after I'm out there for a while, I'll say "enough!" and come back on to shore. On the shore, I can stand on my own two feet.



I'll boast to my friends about how well acquainted I am with God's truth; the truth of it is, God finds my acquaintence with His truth disturbingly lacking. The truth of it is, I like the shallow waters of His truth, where I can still stand on my own two feet, and where I can still say I'm getting into His word.



I think God's view is entirely different. His truth is vast and powerful, and it's only when He pulls me far from shore, where I can no longer stand on my own two feet, that I cry out to Him in desperation, finding myself sorely lacking in my ability to stay afloat in His truth. He never lets me drown, of course, as that's not His way. No, although I never drown, I find that in the deep waters of truth, I'm often brought to the realization that His truth is not a matter to brag about. It's a matter for us to be silent, and God to be loud. It's something that we are lost in and found in all at once. Deep, powerful, mysterious, breathtaking...

posted by Bolo | 6:34 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious