Smeagol is Free!
A hermitudinal view of...stuff...


6.04.2007  

Na 2007: Lesson #2

"Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love."

We were to read and pray through John 15 for our morning devotions with our Family Group on Monday. As we prayed aloud, I stared at what Jesus had said so long ago: "Just as the Father has loved me, I have also loved you; abide in My love."

Wow!

I thought of the implications of that simple, breathtaking declaration and commandment. The love with which the Father has loved the Son, a love that is holy, righteous, perfect, intimate, reverent, eternal, faithful, glorious...that same love is the love with which Jesus loves us.

One of my constant struggles and failings in living as my Father's child is that I doubt His love, His faithfulness to do as He has promised, and the work that His precious Son has done to make those promises true. I forget that although God is capable of such wonderful love, His love was and is and forevermore will be lavished upon us through His Son. I forget that, and I often live as though that love is not real.

I can only imagine what it is to raise a child. I can, however, go beyond imagining what it's like to be a child of loving parents, for I can speak from experience. On that experiential authority alone, I can say without a doubt that one of the most hurtful and wrong things I might do to my parents is to tell them that they don't love me. Not only is it sinful to do, as it dishonors my parents, but it also shreds apart with malice the laborious, self-sacrificing love that they've poured out over the course of my lifetime. It's simply not true that they don't love me; to think or act in a manner that does not acknowledge their love would be horrendous and sinful.

So much more with the love of God. My earthly parents, while having good intentions, still failed. It is good and right in the sight of God that I honor them nevertheless. Yet, in doing so, I must honor them for His sake and in the light of the love that the Father has for the Son, the same love which the Son has for us. It is sinful to cast aside the love of earthly fathers and mothers; how much worse to cast aside the love of our Father in heaven!

posted by Bolo | 11:56 PM
0 speakage
Free Hit
Counters
Dell Coupons
Daily
Read
Listen
Visualize
Blogging Buddies
Old School
Me
Bug Me
Yore
Factuality
Quotatious